A large number of people want to look fresh and wear clothes free of wrinkles. The conventional way of getting rid of wrinkles is by ironing. Steaming is more contemporary and handheld garment steamers give the answer to the question “do I need to take an iron or a full-sized steamer while going on a trip”
A travel steamer is a handy item that could be taken along on a trip. If you feel a full-sized steamer is too bulky, not to worry, a handheld steamer or a little steamer will also suit your needs and it even consumes lesser space and lower amount of energy.
Finding the best travel steamer for your travel garment could be very difficult, we have made a list of the best ones have put into consideration the price, features, and specifications. We’ve also provided you with essential factors that will assist in making your final decision for your clothing steamer in this buying guide.
TRAVEL STEAMER BUYING GUIDE – KEY FACTORS TO CONSIDER
- Heat up time: time is money, therefore, you can’t afford to buy a clothing steamer that takes forever to heat up when you have a client to catch, business meetings to attend and other important issues to deal with. Ideally, you should go for a steamer whose heat up time isn’t more than two minutes so you could save a lot of time.
- Steam time: this is how long a steam iron could continuously produce steam once it is fully heated. Steamers with longer steam time are the most preferable; they are perfect for conditions where you have to steam more than one outfit.
- Weight: a large number of handheld steam iron usually weigh about 1.2 lbs which implies using them for some minutes won’t lead to aches in the hands. Lightweight steamers usually have smaller water capacity.
- Price: the higher you pay, the better the quality. The price of our best Travel steamers range from 20-80 dollars. It is imperative to go with models averagely priced as very cheap models could wear out easily.
- Wattage: the higher the wattage, the powerful the steam. However, a larger wattage steamer will have a large water capacity and will be less portable. Faster steam build-up time and higher steam flow will save a lot of time.
BEST TRAVEL STEAMERS
Here is a list of the best and cheapest travel and handheld garment steamers. We reviewed based on price and quality of this fabric steamers.
SUNBEAM HANDHELD GARMENT STEAMER
The sunbeam is the best handheld steamer as far as this review is concerned. This is a device that performs better despite it being small and compact, it is designed to depress tough wrinkles and dry cloth fibers to prevent re-wrinkling. It is an ergonomic design and apparently stands out from all other home appliances. It is easy to hold and move around the house for sanitizing, removing dust and odors from drapes, beddings or upholsteries. Although, it is quite heavier than other travel steamers although its performance justifies the weight when compared to commercial garment steamers.
Sunbeam works well on all kinds of fabric and provides you with similar results that a full-sized steamer can provide. It includes accessories for heavier and delicate fabrics. Some of them are
- Fiber brush: it loosens the fibers of thick and heavy fabrics to allow the penetration of steam.
- Steam guard: it prevents burns by keeping the most sensitive places away from any hot steam.
- Lint and diffuser brush: for removing lint, dust, and hair from fabrics and to diffuse steam to delicate parts of the fabric.
It heats up in about 45 seconds and constantly provides steam for 15 minutes. It is a good quality and won’t get broken or damaged when packed in a suitcase. The removable and moderately-sized water tank makes steaming faster as you won’t have to refill almost every time. Wide wrinkle remover bar will get rid of creases and tough wrinkles.
If you are looking forward to having that killer look with your clothes, sunbeam will definitely guarantee you that.
- It is of an affordable price.
- Accessory friendly.
- Wait and ready lights notify when it’s ready to use.
- Easy to store
- Two steam levels, hi and low.
- 3year warranty.
Tao-tronics TT-PI001 will certainly bring your garments and upholsteries back to life and reduce the number of visits to the dry cleaners by refreshing your garments.
This is an 800-watt steamer that heats up in about 90 seconds and produces constant steam for 6 minutes. It is easy to use with the on and off switch. Its compact design allows users to conveniently carry it around.
The water tank is of 120ml capacity which makes steaming for a longer period possible. It is essential to use it when the water is at the minimum level not exceeding the maximum level. If there is excessive water inside or if the steamer isn’t in an upright position, spitting would occur. Water splashes on the start button should be cleaned before use.
With a heat-resistant glove and fabric brush included, this fabric steamer provides a total package of versatility.
The overheat protection turns the steamer off when the water level is very low. Tao-tronics works on all kinds of fabric including upholsteries, beddings, drapes and so on.
- Ideal for use at home.
- Very portable.
- Heats up easily.
- It has no steam control button.
Handheld steamers are getting more popular day by day, E-best mini is considered to be one of the best handheld steamers on the market.
Most travelers have limited amount of storage space, with its 600-watt element that supplies a large amount of heat, E-best mini is perfect for frequent travelers. It has a 4-ounce water tank that heats up in about 15 seconds and can provide continuous steam up to 10 minutes.
There is a light to indicate low water level and automatic shut off the safety to prevent overheating. Tilting this fabric steamer to the side while steaming will cause water to drip from the steamer, therefore, wetting the fabric being steamed. The steamer should be kept in an upright position while at use. The water tank can be filled with ordinary tap water.
An 8 foot power cord gives users enough room to maneuver while steaming.
- It is very affordable.
- It could also be used as a facial steamer.
- Works perfectly on different kinds of fabric.
- Comes with a year warranty.
- The water tank is so small, it can only steam one garment at a time.
Fibers are deeply penetrated by shark GS500 to remove odors, kill germs and eliminate wrinkles. It freshens and presses garments faster making you forget the need of an iron, it features a heated wrinkle eraser that replicates the sole plate of an iron in order to dry the fibers. It is designed to fit in a suitcase or bag.
Its handle is of an ergonomic design with a rubber grip to make it easy to hold without ever feeling a strain on the hands. It weighs about 1.2 lbs, so it is easy to carry around.
It does not have an automatic shut off system which is its biggest flaw and could be dangerous. A lot of attention has to be paid to the water level in the tank, in order to prevent the steamer from getting clogged, distilled water has to be used.
Some accessories are included with this fabric steamer and they are: vertical press pad, a filling flask, steam bonnet with frame, Velcro clips, steam bonnet for upholstery and two different brushes. The vertical press pad fits on any door, thus, eliminating the need for a traditional ironing board.
This steamer uses 1580 watts and has a 200ml water capacity which heats up in about a minute and produces constant steam up to 8 minutes. The 15 foot cord makes it possible to reach far places and enough room to maneuver.
- Heats up quickly.
- Accessory friendly.
- Suitable for all kinds of fabric.
- Comes with a year warranty.
- Low water capacity.
- No automatic shut off system.
Another quality product from Pure Enrichment is the Puresteam Fabric Steamer and it is backed by a 2 year warranty making it safe to purchase.
Its water tank heats up in less than two minutes and produces continuous steam for up to 10 minutes. The water tank is easy to fill, refill and empty.
The portable design allows better mobility and storage, its 8 foot long cable does not only allow you to steam clothes but to move around the house, it also eliminates the need of an extension cord.
It is safe for all kinds of fabric from the delicate ones to upholsteries, table linens, drapes and beddings. Puresteam comes with a new nozzle design which helps in distributing steams evenly and also to difficult areas such as collars.
As it only weighs about 1.5 pounds, you won’t ever get tired of holding when it is being used for extended hours. It can perfectly fit into a suitcase or a bag.
It features an automatic shut off system to prevent the steamer from being damaged when the water tank becomes too hot or runs dry.
- Heats up easily
- Nozzle is extremely concentrated
- Too small
It works great, heats up fast, produces a good amount of steam and definitely an ideal choice for travelers and those who run to the dry cleaners a lot.
Rowenta DR8080 is of 1500 watts and heats up to produce steam within 45 seconds. There is a guaranteed 10 minutes usage before having to refill the tank.
Its water tank is of a 6 ounce capacity, removable and a little transparent in order to estimate the recommended water level line while it is being filled. Conversely, it is actually difficult to tell how much water is left when it is back in the steamer.
There is a lock function on the trigger in order to stop the flow of steam when necessary. The 9.84 power cord gives users the ability to maneuver. The wide steam head produces steam for maximum distribution and the stainless steel soleplate conducts heat faster for better results.
It is easy to carry and fit in a suitcase since it weighs about 3 pounds. Distilled water has to be used to avoid white stains on fabrics after steaming.
DR8080 comes with three removable attachments, they are:
- Fabric brush: this is used to remove tough wrinkles on fabrics.
- Lint pad: for removing lint on garments.
- Steam bonnet: to prevent the spitting of water to delicate garments.
- Multiple holes on the steam head for constant distribution of steam.
- Cannot be used to steam heavier fabrics.
- Not accessory friendly.
- It splashes hot water.
Using a garment steamer is the best way of getting rid of wrinkles out of garments, curtains, linens, upholsteries and so on. If you travel very often and you want your clothes to look perfect, getting one of the high-quality handheld steamers mentioned above will do the trick.